Monday, July 12, 2010

Before I go...

In five days I will be on my way to study abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

And let me tell you how I got here...

The first time I watched Moulin Rouge I fell in love with everything about that movie, including the Narcoleptic Argentinean. He and El Tango de Roxanne inspired my first interest in Argentina.

I wanted to go somewhere different. So that rules out Europe.

Fluency in Spanish has evaded me for so long but I figure in Argentina I'll be sinking or swimming in it.

I want to learn the Tango.

After college I will be joining the Peace Corps, and being placed in South America is a dream of mine. First hand experience there will bring me closer to making that dream my reality.

I've been doing my research, but until more recently, I knew NOTHING of South America. And mysteries intrigue me.

And finally, a reason which really doesn't care about the destination, I love traveling. I love packing and getting on long flights and going through customs and being exhausted while lugging around giant suitcases. I love checking into hotels and collapsing on a bed I've never slept on before. I love eating different foods and being told not to drink the water. I love observing the natives and attempting to follow their lead. I love being the silly, self-conscious foreigner who doesn't want to admit she's lost and just ask for directions. Most of all, I love that I'll be doing this all by myself.

Thank you to my mom and Chris, every family member, and friend who has helped me get to this point, this is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment